Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Oasis


Oasis is a private non-profit agency in Portsmouth. They’ve always been very busy serving meals to the homeless and working low-income people. With the economy the way it is, Oasis is busier than ever before. I love the work Oasis does. Both my parents were very community minded. the Parker kids were taught to give back to our community.
Oasis has wonderful cook who strives to provide excellent food (with limited resources) to the guests. Oasis treats its guests with dignity and respect. I appreciate that and their efforts to make the meals served there as delicious as possible.

From time to time, Oasis calls me for some help. I made BBQ sauce today for their evening meal. A few weeks back, they received a lot of fish with the bones still in, so I helped out with a quick lesson in how to fillet fish. I love to do this and consider it a very small way that I give back to my community. I appreciate an agency that would take the time to learn new skills to make food taste good, even for those who have no other options for dinner.

All of us are looking closely at how we spend money these days. I see the work of Oasis first hand. If you’re looking for a good place to volunteer or to donate, you can be sure that at Oasis, your donation is going to those who need it most.

Oasis
1020 High Street
Portsmouth, VA 23704
757-397-6060

Let's make food fun,

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment