Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Life-Long Dream

I’ve been in the restaurant business for 22 years. Opening my own restaurant has been a lifelong dream for me.

Flagship’s building has been here since World War I, when it was a ship’s store. It has been a restaurant since the World War II era, when Portsmouth was bursting to the seams with military personnel and shipyard workers.

When I first started, I don’t think I realized how hard it was going to be to bring the Flagship back to life. I remember one day when I was looking over the rehab we were doing and seeing how extensive the termite damage was to the building. Then my sister, Margaret,also had a look, leaned against the wall, and fell through it. Fortunately, that’s all been fixed, the wiring upgraded, and the kitchen completely renovated befre we opened a few years ago,

Bringing this restaurant back has been a labor of love. I feel so good when people come in who remember the Flagship from years ago. I like to think that I’m continuing a Portsmouth tradition which goes back over three generations, while also upgrading the physical space and presenting quality ingredients, well prepared, in a casual dining atmosphere. Food is spiritual. Sharing a meal brings people together as nothing else can.

Here’s to food being fun,

Alan
.

No comments:

Post a Comment